The members of the American Chemical Society in Hungary decided to establish a local section of the Society: ACS Chapter Hungary. As the first such an organization in Europe the aims of the Chapter are among others:
- to cultivate the good relationship between chemist in the US and Hungary,
- to help to make the Society more known and to promote its interest in Europe; to organize ACS courses, workshops, conferences in Hungary,
- to make the society more known and popular among Hungarian chemists living in Hungary and temporarily in the US,
- to make the activity of ACS more known among Hungarian chemists and in the organization of the Hungarian partner and vice versa,
- representation of the scientific interests of Hungarian chemist living temporarily in the US, visiting Institutions, Conferences, etc. in the US,
- to spread/distribute/translate ACS publications in Hungary.
Although the Chapter is established as an independent legal Association according to Hungarian Law, it functions in close collaboration with the Hungarian Chemical Society. The membership fee is USD 20 per year.
In 2003 the Chapter intends to focus its activity to the followings:
- contacting Hungarian chemist working temporarily in the US and also chemists of Hungarian origin living in the US,
- organizing a half day Symposium during the Annual Conference of the Hungarian Chemical Society in order to introduce successful Hungarian-American research collaborations,
- initiating of invitation of American chemists (e.g. through the Fulbright scheme) to visit Hungarian universities with the aim of improving university curricula.
Budapest October 8, 2002